Headlines 2: Halachic Debates of Current Events
Hardcover, ISBN 978-0-692-85871-4
As with the bestselling first volume of Headlines: Halachic Debates of Current Events, Dovid Lichtenstein presents in-depth halachic analysis of some of the most controversial issues of our times. Some of the topics discussed in this book include:
- –What is the right to privacy in halacha?
- –When can DNA be used as halachic evidence?
- –How should we treat members of the community who were convicted of crimes?
- –Why can’t one steal a kidney to save his life?
- –Is it permitted to kill a terrorist who has been neutralized?
- –Will the imminent arrival of genetically modified meat and fish present a kashrus crisis?
In addition, the book includes interviews of leading poskim on many of the subjects discussed, including Rav Dovid Cohen, Rav Moshe Heinemann, Rav Doniel Neustadt, Rav Moshe Sternbuch, Rav Asher Weiss, and Rav Mordechai Willig.
Table of Contents:
- Apple vs. the FBI: Accessing and Disclosing Private Information
- DNA as Halachic Evidence
- What if Kim Davis Were an Orthodox Jew? Issuing Marriage Licenses to Same-Sex Couples
- Who is a Believer?
- The Disgraced Rabbi
- Light Unto the Nations, or None of Our Business? Influencing Gentiles to Observe the Noachide Laws
- Criminals in Shul: Should Convicted Felons be Welcomed in Our Communities?
- Fraud and Deceit in the Contemporary Marketplace
FAMILY & HEALTH
- Fathering a Child After Death
- Is Artificial Insemination an Option for Unmarried Women?
- Why is it Forbidden to Steal a Kidney?
- Maintaining Good Health as a Halachic Imperative
- Ebola: May a Doctor Endanger Himself by Treating Patients?
- Aborting a Fetus Infected With the Zika Virus
- Suspending Mitzva Observance to Treat OCD
- Seducing the Enemy
- Killing a Neutralized Terrorist
SHABBOS & YOM TOV
- How Kosher is the Kosher Switch?
- Adjusting “Sabbath Mode” Ovens on Yom Tov
- Bioplastic Sechach
- Is Ben Pekua Meat the Solution to Prohibitive Kosher Meat Prices?
- Genetically Modified Organisms: Will this be the Greatest Kashrus Challenge of Modern Times?
- Is Sherry Cask Whiskey Kosher?
- Are Treif Utensils Really Treif?
Dovid Lichtenstein is the founder and CEO of The Lightstone Group, one of the largest privately held real estate companies in the United States. He studied for five years in the Mir Yeshiva.